Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is something you should be preparing for before creating a site. Make sure you've made extensive researches on the best keywords to use. Using the wrong keywords would eliminate your site from search engines forever!
This keyword-tweaking process for a site is often referred to as On-Page Optimization. In order to rank high in search engines, make sure you execute these tasks:
1. Include your keywords in the domain name
2. Include them also in the page title
3. Use "h1" and "h2" header tags
4. Type some keywords in bold, italic and underline
5. Put your keywords at the beginning and end of your webpage
6. Named all the images or graphics after your keywords
A wrong thing to do is performing unnecessary keyword-filling! This could result to your site getting banned by search engines. An example of unnecessary keyword-filling is by putting hidden texts all over your web page. Also don't fill your meta tag, alt image tag, or title tag with keywords. You will get caught and your site will be banned for this!
Besides, there is another important factor that has a huge impact on your site's ranking in search engines. It is often referred to as Off-Page Optimization. You will find a lot of articles about it from my previous posts.